So, my sewjo kind of returned - just in a different form than usual. I am still not motivated to quilt but I did make two dresses for my littlest this week. As I wrote last week, I've been wanting to make her a geranium dress for quite a while now and I finally bought the pattern and made not one, but two!
Now I've made a few skirts and dresses that are basically just rectangles of fabric sewn together but I've never made something from an actual pattern - well, at least not successfully (and that is using the broadest definition of "successful.") But I was determined so I took out some fabric that I had bought very much on sale earlier this year just for this purpose and got ready to sew. Well, I had bought those sale fabrics in 1 yard cuts (which is rare for me) and of course, the geranium (and probably most patterns for 2T and above) needs a bit more than that. And I seriously, have like only 5 pieces of fabric in my stash that are bigger than a 1/2 yard! So, I figured I'd use two fabrics for the dress but surprisingly, the pattern pieces fit on the yard of fabric (with even a little room to spare.) The pattern was awesome for a first-timer - there was really only one step that I got stuck on and one step that I messed up - which I'd call a success! I was so excited when I finished and went to try it on my 2 year old and . . .
it turns out there was a reason I could fit the pattern on just 1 yard - without realizing it, I had made the geranium top, not the dress! Oh, well.
I haven't completely finished the top yet - I only have one button on there! I just made the buttonhole on my Juki and as you probably know - straight stitch isn't exactly the best for a buttonhole.
Stay tuned for my second attempt - where I actually made a dress!