Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The "Just Start Sewing Quilt"



Since my sewing time is limited to an ever-shrinking nap time, I need to have a project ready to go as soon as I put the baby in the crib.  And when I don't have a plan, I tend to waste those precious moments deciding what to do.  And to make it even worse, my fabric stash is running very low right now so I can't even start many of the projects on my list - What to do, what to do?!?  Well, what I did was dump my box of scraps out on the ironing board looking for inspiration.  Nothing immediately came to mind so I decided to just start sewing.  And this is what happened:



And then this:


I added some turquoise/aqua-y quilting and binding (attached to back first and then sewn down with a zig zag to the top - which is my favorite machine stitched binding method so far) and got this:




The "Improv Corner Quilt."



Sadly, I also had a lot of this:



I've used dark solids before and haven't had a lint issue but with this quilt - Wow!  I don't even have a lint brush so I had to use masking tape to remove the lint before taking the photos.  I'll see what happens after I wash it - any suggestions?


In other quilty news, I did start making granny squares this week.  My first two squares turned out less than stellar so I sewed them into a zip pouch instead and I'll start again when my kona yardage comes in the mail.



And, lastly, I used some of the leftover charms from the City Weekend pack I used to make this quilt and made up this quick bag.  I used the bright thread to quilt this as well - it looks so much more subdued here, don't you think?



On the list for this week:
1.  Writing a project list!
2.  Using the rest of the squares from my Little Apples Doll Quilt to make a pillow and a bag.
3.  Trying again with the Granny Square Quilt (when the Kona arrives).
4.  Finally trying HSTs.

Linking up to JAQS Studios - Made by Me WednesdaySew Much Ado - We did it! WednesdayFabric Tuesday at Quilt Story, and WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

12 comments:

  1. Well you got a lot done! Looks great. I love the turquoise on the black. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is fabulous!! I love the blue stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is so fresh and modern!! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun projects!
    I love how you did those blocks,
    and the little pouches are just too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you've been busy! Love the improv square, which turned into a quilt! The pouch is gorgeous, what a genius idea! Great bag! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you with the ever-shrinking naptime! It seems like you got a lot done! That quilt is fierce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little pouch you made out of the granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. You did all this during the nap time? Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of scraps. I need to do something similar as my stash is also running low. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt! Good for you for going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth - your zipper pouch with squares is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little improv quilt! Sometimes things turn out best when we are not stuck on a plan. As for the lint, I always have lots of masking tape on hand! works better than a lint brush.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!